Allergy Archives

strange allery testing

[ Allergy Archive ]
[ Main Archives Page ] [ Glossary/Index ]
[ FAQ ] [ Recommended Books ] [ Bulletin Board ]
   Search this site!
 
        

strange allery testing

Posted by Dawn on September 20, 2003 at 03:22:48:

Dear Dr. Stoll,
Two Days ago, I went for allergy testing because I've been having a strong allergic reaction to my work environment (headache, fatigue, watery eyes, severe congestion and sore throat). I was tested a 3 for mold and 2 for cat. After the testing (I was home all day), all of the skin tests were completely subsided. The next morning when I went to work (within a few hours), my arm began to itch very strongly, and I noticed that the ones on my arm that were the mold skin tests (even the types that were negative at first) swelled up to a relatively large size and were extremely itchy. They did subside over the evening and they became a lot smaller, but when I went back to work again, they increased to an even larger size, and became even more itchy. My allergist said that he had never seen anything like that, and he did not know what to tell me, other than I had a very interesting case. I'm concerned over what this means. Can you help?




Re: strange allery testing

Posted by
Michele on September 20, 2003 at 07:06:22:

In Reply to: strange allery testing posted by Dawn on September 20, 2003 at 03:22:48:

I would think that the allergen is still on your skin...but another idea is that there is psychosomatic stuff going on - and remember, the mind does control the body!

Follow Ups:


Re: strange allergy testing (Archive in allergy.)

Posted by Walt Stoll on September 21, 2003 at 06:10:35:

In Reply to: strange allery testing posted by Dawn on September 20, 2003 at 03:22:48:

Thanks, Dawn.

Delayed hypersensitivity responses are pretty common. This is a good example of how minor stress (just going to work) can add to a mild hypersensitivity to produce symptoms.

In my opinion, any allergist who does not know this is not someone I would be taking advice from. I think you need a clinical ecologist to finish your hypersensitivity testing.

Do not rule out what Michele is saying.

Walt

Follow Ups:


Re: strange allery testing

Posted by dd on September 22, 2003 at 02:13:15:

In Reply to: strange allery testing posted by Dawn on September 20, 2003 at 03:22:48:

Hi Dawn,

I am extremely sensitive to molds and mildew. I have
always been this way. I had a reaction at a place where
I work part time. Similar symptoms as yours. I could
even smell it, although no one else could. I checked
into it and found out that the floors below had flooded,
and they were actually having to rip out floors, walls,
carpets, etc... Has your place of work been tested for
molds? Also, is it an old building?
Since I have had negative experiences with mold
infested buildings, I would never rule out the liklihood
that what you are experiencing is real. Breathing molds
can be very dangerous. Check it out.

dd

Follow Ups:


[ Allergy Archive ]
[ Main Archives Page ] [ Glossary/Index ]
[ FAQ ] [ Recommended Books ] [ Bulletin Board ]
   Search this site!