Dr Stoll Home | Dr Stoll BB
Posts to Ask Dr Stoll BB regarding Headaches
There have been a few posts to the Ask Dr Stoll
Bulletin Board (BB) regarding Headache/Migraine.
Many of them have been archived here. The archive is roughly
chronological. I hope you find it useful.
Summary discussion about headaches:
There are basically only 2 kinds of headaches: vascular and muscular tension headaches. These types make up at least 99.5% of all headaches. The rest are tumors, and surgically correctable conditions. That means that you have less than one chance in 200 that your chronic headaches are not permanently resolvable by dealing with the causes.
For immediate relief of the pain of vascular headaches (NOT a cure) the article on the homepage will do nicely. Of course one needs to know how to tell the difference between vascular and muscular since this approach will not work for muscular headaches. One helpful way is to pay close attention to whether the pain is throbbing (you should be able to count your heartbeats with any vascular headache). Another way is to do the hot arms thing and if it doesn't work the likelyhood is that the headache is not vascular.
There is one small problem with this because, once one has had either kind of headache for years, they tend to have both muscular and vascular components of some of their headaches.
Since both of these chronic headaches are basically due to stored stress-effect in the hypothalamus, practicing skilled relaxation (see the glossary and homepage articles) is basic to a permanent cure in the long run. Otherwise, the mechanisms for curing them in less than 6-12 months are VERY different.
FIRST, the above in only true IF you have had your headache evaluated by a conventional evaluation. More than 99.9% of headaches are not caused by brain tumors or other serious and conventionally treatable conditions. However, once THEY have been ruled out, the information on this BB is the only reasonable resolution.
To determine the exact mechanisms of your headaches you would best go to the bulletin board and describe them so I can work with the data.
Walt Stoll, MD
Choose a thread of archived posts:
- April 20, 2011 - Migraine Headache remedy: Raw honey cinnamon (equal parts) (7)
- August 01, 2010 - visual distortion (12)
- July 26, 2010 - hot arms technique for headaches--TESTIMONIAL (4)
- April 24, 2010 - Headaches when standing (26)
- November 22, 2006 - headache TESTIMONIAL (6)
- April 30, 2005 - TESTIMONIAL: "Hot Arms" (9)
- September 28, 2004 - Magnesium deficiency causing headaches depression? TESTIMONIAL (5)
- November 09, 2003 - sister with headache/nausia for 3 weeks - scan neg.? BRACING! (11)
- June 24, 2003 - Foods Triggering Migraines (7)
- May 28, 2003 - Hot Arms WOW TESTIMONIAL (4)
- May 13, 2003 - Re: headaches (9)
- May 12, 2003 - severe headaches (5)
- May 06, 2003 - Temporal Arthritis (2)
- June 21, 2002 - rhinitis? (3)
- April 11, 2002 - painful prolonged headace (2)
- March 21, 2002 - Lipoma in the brain (2)
- October 23, 2001 - Anyone have undetected food intolerances as a child? (4)
- October 02, 2001 - headache related to arthritis in neck? (5)
- September 20, 2001 - Headaches (3)
- August 03, 2001 - headaches (6)
- May 05, 2001 - Vertigo-Unbalanced Feeling, Candida, Tinea Versicolor, HELP (6)
- April 13, 2001 - MIGRAINES with increaing frequency (3)
- March 09, 2001 - headache help me identify (2)
- March 08, 2001 - headache (2)
- February 03, 2001 - Headache (7)
- January 29, 2001 - Re: Orgasmic headaches (Vascular Headaches) Archive. (1)
- January 27, 2001 - Orgasmic headaches (5)
- December 05, 2000 - Head Pain for Dr Stoll (4)
- November 22, 2000 - Can anyone identify what type of headache this is? (19)
- October 03, 2000 - migraines and neurological symptoms (3)
- September 05, 2000 - Clusterheadache and electromagentism (5)
- August 03, 2000 - Chronic Headache (7)
- January 12, 2000 - Son has headaches (5)
- December 02, 1999 - Poor Health: Hot arms/headache testimonial (17)
- November 21, 1999 - FM/Migraine interchange (7)
- June 01, 1999 - SR, backfire? (6)
- February 16, 1999 - headache from drinking soda from aluminum can? (3)
- February 05, 1999 - Migraines from Working Out? (18)
- January 29, 1999 - severe steady headache in 11-yr-old (6)
- December 28, 1998 - Full Moon -- Headache Connection? (7)
- December 17, 1998 - what kind of headache am I having? (6)
- December 07, 1998 - TRAMADOL (2)
- November 19, 1998 - Headache just won't quit!! (12)
- October 09, 1998 - Migraine versus Vascular Headaches (4)
Dr Stoll Home | Dr Stoll BB