Sebaceous Cysts archives

Pilonidal cyst?

Posted by Tammy on February 12, 1999 at 17:25:32:

I am a 22 year old female. I had chronic pain in my tailbone area about 2 years ago and after a few months it went away. The chiropractor figured I just bruised my tailbone. Now the pain is back. I cannot even sit without severe pain that makes me sick to my stomach. I have been going to the chiropractor but it isn't helping. My father (who is a retired doc) mentioned it could be a pilonidal cyst. I have done some reserach on the web. I do not see any physical sings on my body that show a cyst. What kind of doctor is best to go check this out? I cannot take this pain. I take tylenol and put heat on it every few hours but to no avail. Please help! Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Re: Pilonidal cyst?

Posted by Walt Stoll on February 13, 1999 at 16:16:04:

In Reply to: Pilonidal cyst? posted by Tammy on February 12, 1999 at 17:25:32:

Dear Tammy.

A pilonidal sinus or cyst forms from nests of epithelial cells that are abnormally trapped under the skin via abberant development in utero. Frequently they give no symptoms UNTIL there is a slight injury.

You need to see a general surgeon who has had a lot of experience with pilonidal sinuses or cysts and get an adequate diagnosis.

In the meantime, go to the archives for this BB and read everything you can find on the subject there as well as on the BB that has not yet been archived.

The better you understand this BEFORE deciding who to believe, the more likely you are to be successful.


Return to Dr Stoll Home Page

Post a Message

Main Archives Page

More Sebaceous Cysts archives