Re: GAPS diet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ FAQ ]
[ ASK DR STOLL BB ] [ Glossary/Index ]
[ Symptoms and Diseases Quick Reference Guide ]
[ DR STOLL'S BOOK ] [ NEW BOARD ]
   Search this site!

Posted by Tim [14481.9953] on November 07, 2011 at 21:54:06:

In Reply to: GAPS diet posted by Jan DeCourtney, CMT [17426.9930] on November 07, 2011 at 09:04:25:

Hi Jan,

Here's a recipe from the book:

"The basic bread/cake/muffin recipe

2 1/2 cups of ground almonds
1/4 cup of softened butter (or coconut oil, goose fat, duck fat or homemade yoghurt or creme fraiche)
3 eggs

Mix all ingredients. You may want to add more or less ground almonds to reach porridge-like consistency. Grease your baking pan with butter or ghee, line it with grased baking paper and put the mixture into it. Bake in the oven at 150C (300F) for about an hour. Check occasionally with a dry clean knife. If the knife comes out dry then the bread is ready.

To make variations of this bread you can add some salt, pepper, dried herbs, tomato puree, grated Cheddar cheese (if well tolerated), nuts, seeds dried fruit, fresh or frozen berries, chunks of cooking apple, grated carrot, chunks of pumpkin (without skin or seeds). If you want to sweeten the mixture add 1/2 cup honey into it and/or 1 1/2 cups of dried fruit (dates, apricots, raisins, figs), and/or 2 ripe bananas. If the dried fruit is too hard, soak it in water for a few hours to softenor bring up to the boil in a little water.

[...]

If, after your first attempt, you find that your patient cannot tolerate this recipe (gets abdominal pain or diarrhoea), try to fermet the nut flour or the mixture of nuts and seeds before grinding them into the flour. Nuts and seeds have substances in them (phytates, phenols, oxalates, fibre, etc) which make them difficult to digest for some people. Cover the nuts or the nut flour with a little whey and leave to ferment and room temperature for 24 hrs, drain and use in baking. IF none of the nuts are tolerated, try to sprout sunflower seeds and grind them into flour consistency for baking."

p200-2001, Gut and Psychology Syndrome, 2010, Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD, MMEDSci(neurology), MMedSci(nutrition).

I wish you luck in trying the GAPS diet! I've been following it for a month and a half now and am definitely a believer.

If you currently don't tolerate meat well - or anything else for that matter - that's exactly what the intro diet is catered to addressing. I don't have any known sensitivities, but apparently by following the intro diet dilligently, you can heal the intestinal lining and eliminate them.

Meat/bone broth is one of the easiest things - if not the easiest - for your digestive track to absorb, and it also heals the lining. This makes it the staple of the GAPS diet. Probiotic foods are also a mainstay (sauerkraut, kefir, yoghurt), and are recommended to be homemade.

All grains, sugars (honey and fruit are the exceptions), and starches ferment in the digestive system in cases of dysbiosis, and this feeds pathogens. Thus, they are to be strictly avoided.

So, while you heal the gut lining by consuming bone broth, and avoid substances that will potentially cause damage, you also focus on consuming probiotic foods that help rebalance the gut.

These are the basics of the diet. I highly recommend the book if you want the complete picture. There are some supplements that are recommended also, but they are meant to be complimentary.

There are certified GAPS practitioners listed here: http://gaps.me/preview/?page_id=496

I wish you all the best on your journey...look forward to hearing about it!

Namaste,

Tim

Go to First Post in this Thread

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

NOTICE: you are making a public post! Anyone with internet access can read it! If you wish to remain anonymous, please do not enter your full correct name in the "Name" field below, and do not enter your email address.

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional Link URL:  
Link Title:         
Optional Image URL: 

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ ASK DR STOLL BB ]
[ FAQ ] [ Glossary/Index ] [ DR STOLL'S BOOK ]
[ NEW BOARD ]